Browned Butter Banana Streusel Cake (Gluten-free!)

ivoryhut Gluten-free Banana Streusel Cake

Banana cake was one of the very first things I ever attempted to bake. I still remember clearly the day. It was sometime in the mid-90s, when my hair was much longer and I still had delusions dreams of being some kind of Melissa Etheridge rock musician. I was at our neighbor’s condo, watching our friend make banana cake without a recipe, simply mixing ingredients together until the consistency looked right to him. I was so amazed you’d think I was watching someone split an atom.

As much as I enjoyed experimenting in the kitchen, I never imagined baking would ever figure in my repertoire. I stayed clear of it because I thought it required a level of precision I just wasn’t capable of, and a few early disasters convinced me I was better off leaving it to the experts. Truth be told, I was more comfortable assisting with circumcision. (You’ll be glad to know that, unlike baking, there were no early disasters in my brief medical career.)

This is why I’m particularly pleased with a few of my baking experiments, like my Nutella chip cookies with homemade Nutella chips, and my crazy pizza bread. But this banana bread might be my absolute favorite so far. It’s a loaded banana bread, with chopped walnuts, lemon zest, and a walnut streusel that I consider the highlight of the recipe.

ivoryhut Gluten-free Banana Streusel Cake

Plus, it’s made with browned butter.

I’m in love with browned butter. The smell is intoxicating, leaving my kitchen perfumed with the heady aroma of toffee that makes me almost want to lick the walls. It’s also the perfect option for someone like me who can never remember to leave butter to soften to room temperature, and who lacks the patience to wait after remembering. When I want to bake, I want to bake now.

This cake also gluten-free.

Yes, you heard me. It’s gluten-free. I’ve been avoiding gluten the past few weeks. Part of it has to do with the fact that I can no longer bake bread the way I used to; when I handle the dough, my hands develop itchy blisters and unsightly rashes. If merely touching it can do that to my skin, I wondered what it might be doing to my insides.

Venturing into the world of gluten-free baking scared me. It made me feel like I was back in the mid-90s, intimadated by all that necessary precision. But just like that friend who showed me that baking was as much about texture and consistency—things you can sense and measure without a calculator— as it was about numbers, Gluten-free Girl Shauna assuaged my fears, reassuring me that for the most part, all I needed to do was to replace the flour with an equal amount (by weight) of a gluten-free blend. And because I mostly bake by weight anyway, I was all set to tackle my first project.

Bananas that almost look like they can walk away on their own: check. Lemon for zesting: check.

ivoryhut Gluten-free Banana Streusel Cake

Gluten-free flour mix (I took the easy way out for now and purchased a mix), walnuts for the streusel, and the fortitude to make a caramel sauce for topping because I can’t leave well enough alone, and I figured I’d go all the way for this: check, check, and chee-yeck.

(Thank you, Laurie of Simply Scratch, for the inspiration behind the banana cake streusel. It was truly the best thing about this cake.)

ivoryhut Gluten-free Banana Streusel Cake

What can I say. This cake. This … this monster of a cake. It was so good, I couldn’t believe I was the one who made it. I made my husband take a bite, anxious to see if he could detect anything different. He promptly pronounced it fishy. But not that kind of fishy. His two words to me: “Holy mackerel.” Then he followed that with, “Do we have any ice cream to put on top?” This from a man who does not like sweets and would rather have a cheese platter for dessert instead of cake.

ivoryhut Gluten-free Banana Streusel Cake

The cake was incredibly moist and the browned butter gave it a real depth of flavor. I tested it out on our son Tim, and on his friend David, who didn’t care if it was gluten-free or not; he just wanted an extra piece to take home. Covered with plastic wrap, the cake stays moist for days. And because it’s such a rich treat, it goes a long way because each serving size is smaller than a typical slice of banana bread.

If gluten doesn’t bother you, you can easily replace the flour with all-purpose flour or a blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flour. Just remember to replace it by weight. And if nuts bother you, you can leave them off or replace them with nut-free granola.

Then grab your caramel sauce, and do this.

ivoryhut Gluten-free Banana Streusel Cake

Gluten-free Browned Butter Banana Streusel Cake
Makes one 9×13 pan

You can make this with regular flour instead of a gluten-free mix. The caramel is optional but I think it enhances the browned butter flavor of the cake and pulls the whole dish together nicely.

For the banana cake:
1 stick butter
280 grams gluten-free flour mix (or an equal amount of regular flour, about 2 cups)
1 tablespoon flax meal (optional)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
4 very ripe bananas
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 whole lemons, zested (use more if you want a more pronounced lemon undertone)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

For the streusel:
70 grams gluten-free flour mix (or an equal amount of regular flour, about 1/2 cup)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup turbinado sugar or sugar in the raw
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons butter, cold
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

For the caramel sauce:
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F. Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Lightly butter or spray a 9×13 baking dish.

In a small stainless steel saucepan or skillet, start melting the butter over medium heat. (The stainless steel pan makes it easy to gauge how brown the butter is, preventing you from scorching or burning it.)

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.

In a large bowl, measure out the brown sugar. Break up any lumps.

In another medium bowl, mash the bananas. Sprinkle with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Mix well. Add the lemon zest and mix well.

When the butter starts smelling like toffee, watch it closely. Swirl it around to help it cook evenly. When the butter has browned and the milk solids have turned dark brown but not black, take it off heat and pour into the bowl with the brown sugar. Mix with a whisk (the sugar will still look grainy) to combine and to cool. When the butter has cooled down a bit, add the eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add the sour cream or yogurt and combine well.

Pour the banana mixture into the bowl with the butter, again whisking to combine well. Then add the dry ingredients and gently stir with a spatula until just combined. Fold in the walnuts.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.

While the batter is baking, prepare the streusel. Mix the flour, cinnamon, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Using a box grater, grate in the cold butter. Mix the butter and the flour until you have pea-sized crumbs. Stir in the nuts. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use, so the butter doesn’t melt.

After the cake has baked for 25 minutes, take the dish out and sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top. Return to the oven and continue baking for another 30 to 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare a simple caramel sauce by heating the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously to keep it from burning. When it turns into a dark amber syrup, add the butter and stir vigorously to melt the butter and incorporate it into the sugar. Take the pan off heat and carefully stir in the heavy cream. When the sauce has come together, stir in the vanilla. (Tip: if you want to make a salted caramel sauce, add a teaspoon of kosher salt now.)

Cake is done when an inserted knife comes out with clean with just a few moist crumbs. Cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing.

Serve the cake with a drizzle of caramel sauce. If you’re feeling especially ornery, top with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.

ivoryhut Gluten-free Banana Streusel Cake

32 Responses to Browned Butter Banana Streusel Cake (Gluten-free!)
  1. Strawberry Cake
    June 20, 2011 | 8:20 am

I love banana anything. This looks simply gorgeous in looks and taste. My mouth is watering. Truly! Holy Mackerel is right!

2. Wenderly
    June 20, 2011 | 8:24 am

I want some. Now.

3. Kristen
    June 20, 2011 | 9:27 am

That sauce is literally the icing on the cake. This was a delicious looking cake prior, but with that drizzle of sauce? Over the top deliciousness!

4. Colleen (Souffle Bombay)
    June 20, 2011 | 10:11 am

OMGosh this looks amazing! I often bake banana breads, cupcakes and muffins BUT this is a whole different level…THEN you went and added the caramel sauce. I think I am in love! I SO have to make this when the kids are not around (nut allergies) and gobble it up!

5. Barefeet In The Kitchen
    June 20, 2011 | 10:21 am

This cake looks fantastic! It’s always great to have another gluten free recipe in my files too. Thanks!!

6. Elizabeth Q fr AsianinAmericamag
    June 20, 2011 | 1:28 pm

Wow! What a fabulous version of banana bread. My roots are from the Philippines,too, so I am drawn to any desserts with bananas or tropical fruits. Like the others said, this “takes the cake”. Thanks for sharing. Must try!

7. Kocinera
    June 21, 2011 | 1:39 am

Wow! This cake sounds so amazing! I’m a huge fan of anything involving browned butter alone, but paired with bananas and a streusel topping? Yum!! This recipe is definitely getting bookmarked. :D

8. Paula
    June 21, 2011 | 10:24 am

I’m with David…wrap up an extra piece (or two) to take home! This is one beautiful and delicious looking cake and a recipe I’ve never seen before.

9. Rachel
    June 21, 2011 | 4:56 pm

Do you think this cake would work without nuts (I’m pretty sure the cake would be fine, but what about the streusel topping? It sounds delish, but I am allergic to nuts!

June 21, 2011 | 10:05 pm

Hi Rachel! The cake will definitely work without nuts, and for the topping, you can replace the nuts with a crunchy nut-free granola. Then let the cake bake for 35 minutes before topping it, and bake it topped for another 20 to 25 minutes. (I’m allergic to most nuts, too, but fortunately not walnuts or pecans.)

Hope that helps!

10. ivoryhut
    June 21, 2011 | 10:06 pm

Thanks, everyone! Will you all come over please? Because it’s slowly dawning on me that I just may end up eating this entire cake.

• Celia
      June 27, 2011 | 6:33 pm

I will come over and go bananas over your banana heaven.

11. mel avjean
    June 21, 2011 | 10:26 pm

GLUTEN FREE! Thank you so much:)

12. Cara
    June 23, 2011 | 6:50 pm

It looks amazing!!! I will definitely have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing !!

June 25, 2011 | 10:27 am

I gave it a try, it is wonderful. I skipped the caramel sauce as I did not have all of the ingredients on hand. I took it to work and people did not even know it was gluten free. Very moist.

14. judy jursch
    June 26, 2011 | 12:36 am

Looks awesome! Is there any way it could be adapted for both gluten-free and dairy free or would that compromise the taste? Thanks!

June 27, 2011 | 9:22 am

Hi Judy! If you replace the yogurt with soy yogurt and then use Earth Balance instead of butter (I read somewhere that you can brown Earth Balance the same way you brown butter), that should do the trick. Let me know if you try it!

15. Elizabeth
    June 26, 2011 | 8:17 am

One word, YUM!!

16. Feast on the Cheap
    June 26, 2011 | 7:26 pm

Literally drooling…

17. Caroline
    June 27, 2011 | 7:29 pm

Wow, this looks and sounds fantastic! Gorgeous pictures. I’m loving the combination of flavors. Just found your blog and am so glad I did. :)

18. Joy
    June 29, 2011 | 12:25 am

The cake looks lovely.

19. Luane
    July 27, 2011 | 10:55 am

Shared your recipe on my facebook fan page, Luane’s Cookies. Sounds delicious! and the caramel sauce is a great addition.

20. Rachel @ Bakerita
    August 2, 2011 | 5:12 am

I’m in Europe right now, and this is the first recipe I’ve come accross that’s made me wish I was home so I could go and try it.
    It looks amazing! I’m a totaly sucker for brown butter and for banana bread and caramel…so why did I never think of combining this all?!?
    You’re a genius.

21. Leah Robinson
    August 19, 2011 | 1:21 am

this is a really horrible recipe. It’s dry, way too salty, and just not very good. I bake a ridiculous amount and this is the worst thing I’ve made in a while.

August 19, 2011 | 11:19 am

Oh no! I’m mortified. I’ve made this cake thrice since posting it, and many others have made it too with success. I wonder what could have gone wrong. I’m so sorry it didn’t turn out well for you.

22. Nyssa
    October 7, 2011 | 2:54 am

I’ve been looking for something to make for a friend who has a gluten allergy and I think this recipe wins! Banana cake was also one of my first recipes I’ve tried to use :)

23. Tia G
    October 26, 2011 | 4:32 pm

An absolutely DIVINE version of banana bread! I’m gaining weight just looking at the pic!

24. Dana
    November 12, 2011 | 2:17 pm

Just happened upon your site and am so excited to try and make this tomm. I was finally diagnosed with Celiac one yr ago and continue to look for the ultimate GF desserts. Thanks for sharing!

25. Cynthia
    January 11, 2012 | 4:56 am

Yes! I love gluten-free. I can’t not wait to make this! It looks amazing!

26. Nancy @SensitivePantry
    July 1, 2012 | 8:39 am

It looks amazing and I’ll have to try it.

Now we really do have another reason to get together — you can take me to your favorite Asian food stores and I can take you to my favorite GF stores!

27. Francie
    October 10, 2013 | 8:28 am

Taste good but mine turned out to be an ordinary banana cake :( I follow the recipe to the letter except that i used a regular baking pan (9×13) instead of a baking dish like yours. Have you tried baking this in an aluminum pan? I’ll greatly appreciate your advice :)

28. Sarah
    November 29, 2013 | 7:36 am

I baked the cake for Thanksgiving yesterday…and OMG it was fantastic: and plenty of leftovers for breakfast. It was moist and fluffy and spicy. And the caramel…I almost gave up on that babe but this is a very nice addition. Thank you so much!