For Japan with Love

In this evening’s news, I watched a clip of an elderly couple walking through the rubble left behind by the tsunami. They were searching for their son, who worked at the post office. They found the building in ruins. The camera pulled back to show the mother, in tears. The father stood in front of the building and began shouting his son’s name. Only silence met him. Not even an echo of his own voice. He shouted again and you could hear the desperation in his voice, knowing that there was little chance his son would shout back, but compelled to keep calling out. Finally, standing outside the desolate post office building where the water had reached all the way to the roof, the final resignation: “It’s over.”

It was heartbreaking.

I know what it’s like to lose everything you have overnight. But I was fortunate. The gloom of that night eventually gave way to the light of the next morning, and I still had my family with me. We had friends who gave us a place to stay, we had food to eat, and an outpouring of support from so many people—all of you—that I still wake up every morning telling myself I need to find a way to thank each and every one of you.

Many people in Japan are not as fortunate. Many have no electricity, water, food, shelter … it’s cold, and many have lost their families. And now, I have a chance to join other bloggers in doing something—anything within our power—to help the survivors. We have a chance to help.

ivoryhut For Japan with Love

For Japan with Love was launched by Ever Ours and Utterly Engaged. Donations will go to ShelterBox, an organization that already has volunteers in Japan helping. ShelterBox provides emergency shelter and lifesaving supplies (such as blankets, water storage and purification equipment, cooking utensils, a stove, basic tool kit, etc.) for families around the world impacted by disasters, right when they need it the most. I know you’ve seen the photos. You know that every little bit counts.

Please consider getting involved.

6 Responses to For Japan with Love
  1. Amy | She Wears Many Hats
    March 18, 2011 | 10:08 am

Thanks for doing this. Hadn’t heard of it. I’m a little late to the party, but I’m gonna do it to. Great idea for bloggers to use our platform for good.

2. Karla
    March 18, 2011 | 1:22 pm

How exactly can I get involved? Can I post this same to my site and get the word out? I have been desperately trying to figure out how I can help those in Japan–I spent a lot of time there and hold that country dear to my heart. Please let me know…..

3. allison
    March 20, 2011 | 12:04 am

I just found your site yesterday (!) and this post makes me even more enamored with all things ivory hut. Thanks so much for spreading the word about the enormous need.

4. Ninette
    March 21, 2011 | 8:23 pm

Thanks, Erika. I went to the site and gave. I lived in Japan for a couple years, and it’s heartbreaking.

5. Maris
    March 25, 2011 | 4:54 am

What a wonderful way to do our part. Thanks for the info and I admire your courage.

6. Melanie
    March 28, 2011 | 9:20 am

I’ve gotten involved as much as I can and wish I could do more. I so much admire the quiet resolve- no looting or other negative behaviors. They have so much inner strength.