Nutella Chip Cookies with Homemade Nutella Chips

Last week, I innocently tweeted:

Dear Nutella: I really think you should start selling Nutella baking chips. Seriously. They would rock.

I don’t know what made me say that. Maybe because these Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies have been on my mind, and when I went to my cupboard to check if I had chocolate chips, I saw two jars of Nutella sitting right in front of the peanut butter. Or maybe it was simply because I happened to overhear someone else publicly declare their deep and abiding love for that irresistible hazelnut chocolate spread. (That happens a lot.)

Either way, I thought it would be really cool to bake chocolate chip cookies with Nutella baking chips. Apparently, many others thought it was a great idea as well.

So I decided to try my hand at making my own Nutella chiips. It can’t be that difficult, I thought to myself. Just … just don’t tell Jacques Torres I said that, because I know he’ll set me straight in 1.2 seconds.

For my first attempt, I simply spread the Nutella on a sheet of foil and stuck it in the freezer. They say Nutella gets hard in the refrigerator, so I thought, wouldn’t it be funny if it were that simple?

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

Well, apparently it isn’t that simple. After 24 hours in the freezer, it had the consistency of a soft fruit roll-up. No way was this going to stand up to being mixed in with dough. Besides, after only a minute or two out of the freezer, it had already begun to melt and return to its original spreadable state.

So I decided to throw in some chocolate chips and butter along with the Nutella and gently melt everything together. I figured the chocolate chips and the butter would help the resulting mixture solidify more after freezing. I used milk chocolate chips because I didn’t want the strong flavor of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate to overpower the delicate hazelnuttiness of the Nutella. (You can tell I’m excited when I start making up words.)

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

I just kept mixing it until it looked smooth and glossy.

Note: In a third attempt, I tried just mixing Nutella and butter and then freezing it. It worked wonderfully as well, and the Nutella flavor was better preserved. (See the photo at the end of this post.)

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

My plan was to once again just spread the chocolate on a sheet and let it freeze, but something got into me and I decided to find some ambition in my life. So I stuck the chocolate in a plastic bag and attempted to pipe out discs of chocolate.

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

I’m no artist, I’ll tell you that. A friend of mine very kindly referred to my discs as “puppy poop.” (Thanks a lot, pal.) I did, however, eventually get the hang of it. Kinda.

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

The good news is that the spiral mounds even out as the chocolate settles, and they look much better when you take them out of the freezer. I made the discs a bit larger than the usual chocolate chips because I wanted nice big chunks of Nutella in my cookies.

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

This was the batch made with milk chocolate chips. The batch made just with added butter was lighter in color.

Happy with the chips, all that was left to do was mix up a batch of my favorite Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies. I love that recipe not just because of the deep flavor imparted by the browned butter but also because it doesn’t require a mixer.

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

The aroma of this browned butter is amazing and it leaves your kitchen smelling like toffee. Once the basic dough was done, it was time to take some chips out of the freezer.

ivoryhut nutella chiip cookies

Nutella chips, welcome to the world. Allow me to introduce you to browned butter cookie dough.

ivoryhut nutella chiip cookies

They make a cute couple, don’t you think? I decided to give them a little bit more alone time in the refrigerator overnight. Apparently, letting the dough rest in the refrigerator really deepens the flavor and gives it a richer, darker color.

I had to camouflage the dough in the vegetable drawer, though, under the napa cabbage. Leaving cookie dough out in the open in my house is a dangerous move.

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

The dough thankfully escaped unharmed. I made large cookies the next day, using an ice cream scoop to measure out the dough. Into the oven for 14 to 16 minutes, and you get those lovely crunchy edges, moist center, and ooey gooey Nutella chunks all over.

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

Even the cat outside groaned when I broke open the first cookie.

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

This, my friends, is serious stuff. If you love Nutella, you’ll flip over this cookie. And if you don’t love Nutella, make these and you just might be converted.

Homemade Nutella Chips
Makes about 2 cups

Using the added milk chocolate chips gives the chips more structure and creaminess but it also mutes the hazelnut flavor. If you don’t mind a subtler Nutella flavor or if you will boost the flavor of the cookies with added toasted hazelnuts or ground hazelnuts, feel free to replace the butter with even more milk chocolate chips.

6.5 oz. Nutella
2 oz. butter
3 oz. milk chocolate chips (optional)

In a double boiler or a glass bowl set over a pot of simmering hot water, melt all the ingredients until you have a smooth, glossy chocolate mixture, about 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. Take the mixture off heat.

To make chunks, spread in a 1/8-inch thick layer on Silpat or foil and freeze for at least 2 hours. When frozen solid, break into chunks with a knife (try not to handle the chocolate too much or the heat of your hands will start to melt it). Store in the freezer until ready to use.

To make chocolate chips or discs, put the melted chocolate inside a pastry bag or resealable bag with a corner snipped off. Pipe out the discs or chips onto a baking sheet lined with Silpat or a sheet of foil. When done, put the sheet in the freezer and freeze for at least 2 hours. When frozen solid, loosen the chocolate chips and store in a bag or airtight container in the freezer until ready to use.

Nutella Chip Cookies

(Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen’s Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies)

1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 sticks butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cups homemade Nutella chips
3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (optional)

Combine flour and baking soda in a bowl. Whisk and set aside.

Melt 1 1/4 sticks butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Keep swirling until butter has a dark golden brown color and a nutty aroma, about 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl and mix in the remaining butter until melted.

Add the sugars, salt, and vanilla to the butter and mix well. Add the egg and the extra yolk; whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds. Let it rest for 3 minutes, then whisk again for about 30 seconds, before letting it rest again. You’ll want to whisk this about 4 times, until you have a thick, glossy, and smooth mixture.

Gently stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined. Make sure dough is cool before stirring in the Nutella chips and nuts, if using.

Cover the dough with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 24 to 36 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Form dough balls about 3 tablespoons in size (I use an ice cream scoop) and place them on a lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 14–16 minutes (mine took 15 minutes), then put the baking sheet on a cooling rack and let the cookies cool on the sheets.

Update!

Here is a photo of the chips/chunks made with just Nutella and melted butter mixed together. I spread the resulting mixture on a silicone mat, put it in the freezer for about 3 hours, and then cut it into chunks.

ivoryhut nutella chip cookies

Because the only chocolate in this mixture is the Nutella, the hazelnut flavor is more pronounced when compared to the batch made with added milk chocolate chips. These are simpler to make, too, and my preferred method for making Nutella chips. At least, speaking from my vast experience of Nutella-chip-making that encompasses all of three days.

131 Responses to Nutella Chip Cookies with Homemade Nutella Chips
  1. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef
    December 9, 2010 | 2:06 pm

Wow. These sound incredible. I am so sad that I don’t have nutella right now. :( i need some, stat!

2. Urvashee
    December 9, 2010 | 9:20 pm

This is brilliant! I love Nutella and can’t wait to try these out. Thanks for sharing.

3. JR
    December 11, 2010 | 11:20 am

I made these with not quite similar success. The dough is incredible but when I baked the cookies everything turned to soup. The cookies spread out and grew together. I think I will try making nutella chips with some wax as the Nutella+butter only chips never really got hard – or maybe you just really need to use chocolate chips. And, the dough seemed a little soft, adding more flour. But they are delish and I won’t give up!

• Ryan @ Ryan's Baking Blog
      December 12, 2010 | 5:46 pm

I also made with just butter and they are still a bit soft, even after being in the freezer a little over 2 hours.

4. Melanie
    December 11, 2010 | 7:45 pm

Oh.My.Gosh.

I think I died from the yumminess of just LOOKING at these.

5. brooke
    December 12, 2010 | 7:19 pm

Im making these right now… but I think I messed up on the chips. I measured out 6.5 oz of Nutella, but I think it was too much. And half a stick of butter is 2 oz, but I needed more to get the melted Nutella to look shiny. It froze ok, though it wasn’t hard hard and now that Im baking the cookies, the chips are melting into a big globby mess. They don’t look good, but taste great! hehe

6. ivoryhut
    December 12, 2010 | 7:53 pm

JR, Ryan, and Brooke: Sorry the chips didn’t work out for you. I wonder what happened. Perhaps you need to freeze them overnight? The last batch I made involved an entire 13 oz. bottle of Nutella and a stick of butter. It froze properly, but one thing I’ve been doing is just storing the chips in the freezer. I also make sure the dough is cool enough before mixing in the chips, so that they don’t melt.

And ack! I just realized that I forgot one CRUCIAL step in the process. You have to let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 24 to 36 hours. (I’m such a DORK for forgetting to add that in. Fixing now.)

The dough gets quite stiff after resting in the refrigerator, and the chips hold their shape while baking.

Excuse me while I go make myself stand in the corner for that oversight.

• brooke
      December 13, 2010 | 4:39 pm

Thanks for the reply!
      We had a cookie exchange today at work and everyone loved these!
      Im going to try it again but refrigerate the dough longer.
      I did make a batch of plain chocolate chip cookies following this recipe and have balls of dough in the freezer!

7. Karma
    December 12, 2010 | 9:54 pm

Those cookies look totally ab-fab. I can’t see myself having the patience for the nutella chips though. Think the cookies would still taste good with chocolate chips and nutella mixed in?

8. New York Cookie Swap | Three Many Cooks
    December 13, 2010 | 8:55 am

[...] Shortbread and Chris’ Triple-Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies to Erika’s (now famous) Homemade Nutella Chip Cookies and Jackie’s Peppermint Crusted Double Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies. We are enjoying each and [...]

9. Elise
    December 15, 2010 | 5:06 pm

I’ve decided that nutella is evil. It tempts me and I succumb. It’s not my fault. It’s the fault of that jar on the shelf of my pantry.

Nutella even infects the minds of my friends, who then make amazing things with it, like these cookies.

More temptation.

Must run away…..

10. [...] have a batch of gingerbread dough living in my fridge and half of a gallon zip-top bag filled with Nutella chips in my freezer. And eleventy billion recipes printed [...]

11. susan
    December 18, 2010 | 9:38 am

what a great idea! how inventive of you. love this post and your cookies look mouth watering!

12. Kathleen
    December 18, 2010 | 1:19 pm

Ok I was going to make hazelnut biscotti. I just changed my mind. But with the cookies I think I’ll add some chopped hazelnuts.
    OMG and I have loved ATK cookie recipe for years. You are awesome!

13. Andrea@High/Low
    December 19, 2010 | 10:02 pm

Nutella should make you a spokesperson for them (or at least the head of product development!) So glad to have met you at the Cookiefest and to enjoy your fab baking!!

14. Kathleen
    December 20, 2010 | 12:30 pm

I doubled the recipe and used nutella, two ounces each of butter, cocoa butter, and milk chocolate chips. Used chopped hazelnuts that I had skinned (in baking soda and water) and toasted. Since I was taking them to a party I used a 17 x 13″ cake pan and made them into bar cookies. Baked at 350 for about 40 minutes. I watched them so I can’t be sure of the exact time. They turned out delicious.

The cocoa butter I had on hand and wanted to try it out. Next time I’ll skip the choc chips adding only some butter and cocoa butter.

15. Joy
    December 21, 2010 | 4:47 pm

That is a great idea. I have to try making nutella chips.

16. Cherrie
    December 22, 2010 | 12:07 am

wow, love this idea. It’s funny how thoughts can become a reality after some time playing the in the kitchen :)

17. Kristen | Menuism.com
    December 22, 2010 | 12:52 am

Gasp. Gasp. Gasp. Sheer brilliance. I may or may not be running out to get Nutella tomorrow to make these.

Okay, only a not if the fiance stops me with something practical like, “You’re already making four desserts this week for just the two of us.” And even still…

18. Mindy
    December 26, 2010 | 10:59 am

I learned to make chocolate cups…took little muffin paper cups, spread in melted chocolate chips, allowed to cool and harden, removed the paper cup…and filled with a french chocolate pie recipe. Yummy. The cups didn’t hold up properly when created using just plain melted choco chips, so we added parafin wax to change the consistency. I bet you could make nutella chips melted with some parafin wax to achieve a more consistent and manageable chip shape? Just a random thought….

19. Tiffany
    December 28, 2010 | 10:21 am

I’ve never tried nutella!! I know, the horror! Sounds fantastic though. I wish I had some of those cookies right now to compliment my coffee.

20. Amit
    January 2, 2011 | 10:35 pm

I love your writing style. And this recipe has inspired me to try and bake cookies for the first time ever.

21. Kristie
    January 3, 2011 | 7:35 pm

I just had to stop by and let you know how amazing these cookies (and chips) are!! I made them for my son and he flipped!

Truth be told, I hid a few of the nutella chips in the freezer to nibble on when no one is looking…yum!

I’ll be making these cookies often!

22. Georgia Pellegrini
    January 5, 2011 | 6:46 pm

This certainly did not help any New Years resolutions I may or may not have made, good work!

23. Karen
    January 7, 2011 | 8:42 pm

I’ve never tried the Nutella but I bought some today. I can hardly wait to make the cookies with these chips. I love anything with Hazelnut flavoring. Thanks so much for this Nutella chip recipe. Love your blog too!

24. Meredith M.
    January 12, 2011 | 2:44 pm

This is genius. Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

25. bee
    January 12, 2011 | 7:48 pm

my favorite local ice cream shop just started selling coffee ice cream with a nutella swirl. as you say, it’s like a fruit roll up when frozen (doesn’t really get hard) so it makes a lovely ice cream addition. so good!

26. Mariko
    January 15, 2011 | 4:32 pm

You just blew my mind.
    I can’t even think of what to say. I’m just so completely distracted.
    NUTELLA CHIPS????!!!!!
    My life is forever changed. Thanks for that.

27. Chili Dude
    January 15, 2011 | 5:25 pm

What fun!! I made these cookies today and they were the best. the kids had so much fun making the chocolate morsels. Thanks for the recipe.

28. Rachel
    January 15, 2011 | 7:04 pm

I will admit that I have actually never tried Nutella, but my children love it! I think cookies are the perfect excuse for me to give it a try! :)

29. PattyM
    January 16, 2011 | 11:15 pm

You are so clever! The cookies look awesome, and I love the little “puppy poop” ones! I’ve never tried Nutella, but it seems to keep popping up, so I guess I’d better try it.

30. Kulsum at JourneyKitchen
    January 20, 2011 | 3:55 am

U knw this a stroke of a genius? OMG! Can’t wait to try this.

31. Happy Friday! « Home Swede Home 2.0
    January 21, 2011 | 4:05 am

[...] on a fun new blog, The Ivory Hut, these Nutella Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies bring tears of happiness to my eyes. After marathon training tomorrow, I’ll make one, two, [...]

32. sandra
    January 24, 2011 | 12:30 pm

Nutella baking chips??? GENIOUS.. pure genious!!

33. Rocky Mountain Woman
    January 24, 2011 | 6:17 pm

Oh yeah….come to mama!

34. Jessica "Su Good Sweets"
    January 25, 2011 | 9:17 pm

You amaze me! I wonder if this would work with homemade Nutella. Hmm, probably not. Homemade isn’t as smooth.

35. [...] was last week. We were baking in honor of the upcoming World Nutella Day. I brought along my nutella chips and a recipe that would help me offload some of my steel cut oats that no one was going to eat. We [...]

36. Gloria Mc
    February 3, 2011 | 1:01 pm

OMG.. You are a genius..

37. Annie@ButteryBooks
    February 3, 2011 | 3:14 pm

Smarty pants! Thanks for the awesome post!

38. Raven
    February 5, 2011 | 2:59 pm

Ohmigosh. YOU. ARE. AHMAZING. This is genious. You’re such a wonderful person. Don’t stop. Please.

I can’t wait to do this!!

39. Rosie @ Sweetapolita
    February 13, 2011 | 10:44 pm

Wow, these look so good! Fabulous idea, creating the Nutella chips! Thanks so much for sharing!

40. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    February 14, 2011 | 5:46 am

I just discovered the existence of Nutella chips today when a friend of mine tweeted that she had just made cookies with Nutella chips! I asked her what on earth was she talking about and she pointed me to your site. I wanted to say that is an absolutely inspired idea you had, thank you!

41. MWeekly
    February 15, 2011 | 1:27 pm

This looks ridiculously good. Must try. I have a friend who’s birthday is coming up and she LOVES nutella, what a perfect gift idea! Thank you for daring to try!

42. Strawberry Cake
    February 15, 2011 | 3:04 pm

Heavens to Betsy! I think you have created the most wonderfuliscious thing in the world!!!!

43. the domestic geisha
    February 17, 2011 | 11:07 pm

These cookies look so delicious; I think I’ll light my oven and give them a try.

44. Sabine
    February 19, 2011 | 11:29 am

Brilliant! I want to reach into your pictures and sample some of that delicious looking Nutella chocolate. This has made my “MUST do now” list, thanks!

45. Louie
    February 21, 2011 | 11:11 pm

HelloIm wodnering If i could use soft margarine insted of butter?

46. taffi
    March 3, 2011 | 3:33 am

Absolutely divine. Thanks for the inspiration!

I filled one sheet pan with piped chips, and my hand was cramping; I still had 3/4 of a piping bag full of Nutella left to pipe, but I didn’t want to aggravate the cramping. I decided to spread the rest of it out & freeze to chop into chunks later, but by then the mixture was hard enough that it would have been very hard to spread. So I piped several long lines, or tubes, of Nutella mixture and froze them – they were super easy to chop into whatever thickness of chip I wanted. I will do all future Nutella chips this way – because you *know* there will be more in my future! :)

47. Erin
    March 11, 2011 | 3:27 pm

The nutella chips really make the recipe! I ran out of regular flour after 1 cup so I used whole wheat flour for the remainder 3/4. Same with the sugar, I used half granulated, half splenda. I should have surveyed my pantry before I started cooking, but I didn’t. Since I had no hazelnuts, I used oatmeal (since that normally goes well in cookies). Because I piped the chips a bit too big, it melted a bit and just looked amazing as I took them out of the oven. Can’t hardly wait until after dinner so my room mates and I can try them!

48. Bee
    March 14, 2011 | 4:54 pm

These look divine!!!! Could you please, please, please let me know how much a stick of butter is (converted into grams) and how to convert the cup into grams? Butter doesn’t come in sticks here in Austria and I’m not sure which of my cups I could/would use as a measuring instrument… Bee

March 14, 2011 | 5:28 pm

Hi Bee! A stick of butter is about 100 grams or 1/2 cup. Hope that helps, and let me know how the cookies turn out!

49. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds
    March 18, 2011 | 12:55 pm

Seriously, you are my hero of the day!

50. Carole
    March 18, 2011 | 2:02 pm

Genius! Thanks for sharing your methods. Look forward to trying this soon.