Caribbean dreams

I’ve always loved traveling. It doesn’t matter much if it’s somewhere new, or some place that I’ve been to dozens of times. The whole process of leaving home, putting miles between me and the familiar, breathing in new air, and naturally becoming more observant because everywhere my eyes rest there is something different, something to be noticed … it exhilarates me, recharges me and makes me tingle all over, literally and figuratively.

(Apparently, it also makes me write really, really long sentences.)

Ever since we’ve been married, Tom and I try to plan at least two annual family vacations. Okay, Tom plans them and I bring him coffee while he makes the arrangements. But things have changed since last year. We’ve both made career shifts, and we’ve had to make adjustments to cope with the increasing demands of caring for Tom’s aging mother. For those reasons, we haven’t really gone on a “real vacation” in a while, and likely not any day soon.

In the meantime, I entertain myself by going through old vacation photos. Today’s flashback will be from the last Caribbean cruise we took, back in January 2009.

Dominica waterfall vines
This was taken in Dominica. We hiked through a path in a forest, reaching a clearing where there were sparkling falls, rocks covered in velvet moss, and these beautiful vines.

Barbados blue waters
Then we went to Barbados. Beautiful, blue Barbados. We drove around, bought lunch from a woman selling food out of the trunk of her van (which may or may not have been a good idea, but we were hungry and the scent of curry was too tempting). Then we found a beach, swam, and watched some local kids kick a soccer ball around by the shore.

St. Lucia coastline
Next stop was St. Lucia. It was raining that day, which made for great diffused sidelight as we pulled out late that afternoon.

Carnival cruise ship deck
Our final stop was St. Kitts, and by this time, we were too tired to do more than explore the town right by the port. We did, however, spend some time on deck. Which we hadn’t done since sailing. And I’m glad we did and that I didn’t let the hot Caribbean sun chase me down into our air-conditioned cabin, because then I would have missed this sunset shot.

Caribbean sunset at sea
Whatever you do, please don’t wake me.

15 Responses to Caribbean dreams
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet
    June 29, 2010 | 6:46 am

I have never been to the carribbean but I would love to go. Your pictures make me want to go even more!

2. Allyson
    June 29, 2010 | 10:08 am

I just fell in love with your picture from St. Lucia. Oh my goodness, I think I need to get there…stat!

3. Dcan
    June 29, 2010 | 11:39 am

All beautiful photos. The one of St. Lucia looks like a painting – wow! I just got back from vacation visiting family, but this makes me want to go somewhere more exotic. I hope you get to go somewhere sooner than later!

4. Ckay
    June 29, 2010 | 3:52 pm

Oh my! I do declare that I may need you to give me some photography lessons! Those are beautifully composed.
    My compliments!
    And my sincere regrets that you will not be sharing lovely new vacation photos for a while. You may have to discover some lovely new, local-ish spots

5. Maria
    June 30, 2010 | 10:06 am

Gorgeous photos! I need a vacation now:)

June 30, 2010 | 1:13 pm

Beautiful! Now I can’t wait to go on vacation! :-)

7. Jenny Flake
    June 30, 2010 | 1:57 pm

Oh my gosh!! Look at that vacation, love these pictures!!

8. Jen @ How To: Simplify
    June 30, 2010 | 2:43 pm

Wow, those are beautiful pictures! I definitely want to go on vacation now!

July 2, 2010 | 3:16 pm

Those photos are absolutely stunning! They make me want to run off to a beautiful tropical location for a couple of weeks.

10. Grapefruit
    August 4, 2010 | 5:59 am

Oh my, I always love your photos.
    These make me wish I were there. Simply beautiful!

11. Scott Thomas Photography
    November 24, 2010 | 1:07 pm

I now want to go to Barbados. That photo is luscious!

12. Jennifer
    January 20, 2011 | 11:13 pm

I served in the Peace Corps in Dominica, it’s my home away from home! The nature on that island is hard to beat. I was right when I guessed that picture was from D/ca!

• Debbie
      July 28, 2014 | 11:02 am

Just got a link to your site from PW and would like to say how intrigued I am with your photos and writing. However, being a Dominican I am somewhat disappointed with the photo you chose to introduce Dominica. I quite agree that you may have found this “common” plant special to you but we have so much more beauty here. Do hope you come again though.

July 28, 2014 | 11:16 am

Hi Debbie! Dominica was absolutely beautiful, and I hope to return and have more than 4 hours to spend there next time. I have to admit that I was so taken with the scenery and with trying to balance myself while hiking that I had little chance to take photos. On my next trip, I’m definitely asking you for tips on where to go!

• Debbie
          July 28, 2014 | 2:43 pm

Oh lovely, be my guest!!!