Green Mango Margarita Sorbet

Alternate title: Well, Now I’m Just Pushing It, Aren’t I?

green mango margarita sorbet-0911

Yesterday, I posted my Gin and Tonic Sorbet recipe, enticing anyone who would listen to make it, enjoy it, then inflict it on all your guests. That recipe called for a lime-infused simple syrup, and I only ended up using half of the batch that I made. Which got the wheels turning in my head, wondering what else I can make with it.

I also happened to have a green mango waiting to be used. I had been planning to make a Philippine-style green mango shake (like a slushie), which I absolutely love. Maybe it was the gin my head, or perhaps it was just homesickness, but before I knew it, my green mango shake had somehow morphed into an idea for green mango margarita sorbet.

green mango margarita sorbet green mango

Let me start off by saying that I don’t really get along that well with tequila. Sure, we’ve been on the dance floor once or twice before, but mostly, it’s just because I’m trying to be polite. And only for quick jigs; I can’t slow dance with tequila without the inevitable headache, after which I just want to go to bed and sleep it off.

Then I miss out on all the fun because I’m fast asleep by 7:36 p.m..

But I do love the taste of margaritas. It’s the sharp tartness of the lime, the mellow semi-sweetness of the triple sec, and the interesting contrast with the salt that really speaks to me. And … wait. You know what I love about green mango shakes? The sharp tartness of the green mango, the mellow semi-sweetness of the sugar, and the interesting contrast with the salt.

Hmmm …

green mango margarita sorbet-0921

==========

Green Mango Margarita Sorbet

1/2 cup sugar
1 large or 2 medium limes, zested and juiced
1 large green mango, peeled and roughly sliced
1/4 cup triple sec
1/4 cup tequila
lime wedge and rimming salt, to serve

In a saucepan, make simple syrup by heating 1/2 cup water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Take off heat and add lime zest and juice. Let cool.

Put green mango slices and 1/4 cup water in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add simple syrup, triple sec, and tequila. Blend again until smooth. Adjust flavors to taste. Cool in the refrigerator, then freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Store in a freezer-proof container in the freezer to allow it to harden some more.

Run a lime wedge around the rim of a shot glass and salt the rim. Scoop the sorbet into the shot glass and serve.

green mango margarita sorbet-0902

This margarita sorbet probably isn’t as “unique” as the gin and tonic sorbet, since margaritas are already sometimes served frozen and slushy. But what I love about this is the addition of the green mango, which is in itself already has both sour and sweet flavors. You can also rim the glass with jalapeno salt or any other kind of spicy salt for an interesting kick.

You can certainly use your favorite fruit as a substitute for the green mango. I think kiwi, granny smith apples, star fruit (preferably not too ripe), raspberries, or even fresh grapefruit juice (juiced, strain out the pulp) would work wonderfully. If I were in the Philippines, I’d be trying mangosteen, kamias (a very tart relative of the star fruit), or pomelo.

Actually, if I were in the Philippines where summer can be painfully hot, I’d probably be using much larger glasses too.

I’d also probably be sleeping a lot. Because tequila’s potency is geography-independent.

Trust me. I know these things.

16 Responses to Green Mango Margarita Sorbet
  1. TexxyB
    May 30, 2010 | 10:13 am

If you can’t drink tequila~~ try beer! Some of the best margaritas I have ever had were made with beer!

2. emily s
    May 30, 2010 | 10:48 am

Your pictures are mouthwatering as usual! I’m totally in the mood for mango : )

3. Jessica @ How Sweet
    May 31, 2010 | 8:34 am

I love margaritas, and this just has me craving one of these refreshing treats!

4. Maggy@ThreeManyCooks
    May 31, 2010 | 9:25 am

Ok, now you’re killing me. And yes, you are pushing it. BUT I LOVE IT! These are such a great idea. Can’t wait to make both the G&T sorbet and this one! I blame you if I can’t stand up straight at the end of the night, haha ;)

5. Jenny Flake
    May 31, 2010 | 11:26 am

Oh this looks fantastic!!

May 31, 2010 | 1:17 pm

Love margaritas! Can’t wait to try this!

May 31, 2010 | 7:30 pm

This is another fantastic sorbet! The wheels in my head – how many drinks could morph well into sorbet? I’m willing to delve deeper to find out.

8. Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker
    June 1, 2010 | 10:51 am

Yum! I had some mango Italian ice a few weeks ago, and it was delicious.

9. Jen @ How To: Simplify
    June 1, 2010 | 3:34 pm

What a refreshing sorbet! I love the color!

10. polwig
    June 1, 2010 | 4:00 pm

WOW !!! You are killing me here first my favorite gin and tonic now this… incredible.. wow.. thank goodness for summer :)

11. Kristen
    July 22, 2010 | 6:25 pm

This looks crazy good and so refreshing. Wish I had one right this very minute!

12. […] later, Ms. Hut posts two intriguing recipes on her site – gin & tonic sorbet and then a green mango margarita sorbet.  First, she was totally singing my song with the gin and tonic sorbet – that is my all-time […]

13. Greg
    May 5, 2011 | 5:13 pm

Gorgeous. Looks so tasty and pretty too.

14. […] Green Mango Margarita Sorbet! We don’t normally throw a party, so this year is going to be really awesome. Are you […]

15. […] Green Mango Margarita Sorbet from The Ivory Hut […]

16. Liz
    September 12, 2012 | 10:17 am

Oh gosh, this is brilliant! I love the shot-glass serving size and the salted rim. Genius. This will definitely be at my next party!