Honey Vanilla Ginger Chamomile Tea Ice Cream

This is my first custom ice cream flavor. Honey vanilla ginger chamomile tea ice cream. It’s a mouthful, in more ways than one.

I’m glad I did, because that ice cream base? It was so good that I just had to text Tim (who was at a friend’s house watching a movie): “I think I may have just invented an ice cream base that’s so good, you might cry when you taste it.”

And I couldn’t wait to share it with you, too. Because I think it really is that good, and okay, maybe I need some company in the crying corner.

To flavor the base, I steeped about 2 tablespoons of chamomile flowers in 1 cup of fat-free half-and-half. Mostly because it was a quart purchased by mistake, and I could think of no other use for it. You can certainly use regular half-and-half or whole milk for this. I also had half a can of coconut milk in my fridge left over from the chicken pelau, so I dumped that in as well.

The flavors of the ginger, chamomile, honey, and vanilla fully infused the cream, and it was a good thing that I did this at about 10 PM, because it gave me a reason to leave it untouched in the freezer overnight to finish freezing. So, like a good girl, I packed it into a container and then went on to lick clean up the ice cream machine parts.

Want to guess what I had for breakfast today?

==========

Honey Vanilla Chamomile Tea Ice Cream
(Recipe courtesy of my warped sleep-deprived mind that doesn’t know what to do with unexpected free time)

1 cup half-and-half or whole milk (I used fat-free half-and-half)
1/2 can (14 oz. can) coconut milk (optional)
1/3 to 1/2 cup honey, to taste
2 tablespoons chamomile flowers (or 2 to 3 bags chamomile tea, to taste)
3/4-inch-long piece of ginger, sliced thickly into about 3 or 4 slices
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the half-and-half or milk, coconut milk (if using), honey, chamomile and ginger in a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer to dissolve the honey, and let simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool and continue steeping. When slightly cooled, pour in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Put in the freezer to chill for about 30 minutes, or until sufficiently cooled. Strain into another container, then pour into the ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Makes about 1.5 quarts.

==========

The ice cream almost has a faint taste of dulce de leche to it, perhaps from the honey and vanilla flavors. It’s wonderfully rich, and I highly recommend you try it.

Just try to make it late at night if you can, and try not to get your tongue stuck to the frozen ice cream canister.

Not that I’d know anything about that.

14 Responses to Honey Vanilla Ginger Chamomile Tea Ice Cream
  1. CKay
    April 4, 2010 | 3:00 pm

Oh how yummy looking. Now I’ve got some yummy flavored honey in the pantry, you have given me ideas. But I still think I’ll have to try that Coconut ‘scream first. MMMmmmm

2. Love Ice Cream Recipes
    April 5, 2010 | 10:32 am

This ice cream looks delicious! I’m very impressed! What a creative and adventurous idea!

3. rghawki
    April 5, 2010 | 2:26 pm

YUM! I can’t wait to try it. My ice cream freezer bowl has just been sitting in the freezer waiting for some yummy recipe to come along. Thanks!

4. karma
    April 5, 2010 | 4:26 pm

Oh Hut! You may be inducing another impulse buy!

5. Reiz
    April 5, 2010 | 8:52 pm

Yummy stuff! But Honey Vanilla Camomile! The ice cream surely smells good!

6. Divina
    April 7, 2010 | 4:28 am

This looks good. I was thinking of tea but it’s better in ice cream.

April 15, 2010 | 11:44 am

You inspired me to mix some stuff up! I have a batch freezing right now of peanut butter nutella swirl banana chocolate chip. I’ll let you know how it comes out!

8. Susceptible « Bread & Putter
    April 18, 2010 | 9:27 pm

[…] this recipe which I have tried before for Peanut Butter Chocolate Ripple.  Inspired by Hut’s Honey Vanilla Ginger Chamomile, I thought if two flavors are good, aren’t four better?  After preparing the peanut butter […]

9. shutterboo
    April 28, 2010 | 9:38 pm

I had hands-down the best icecream ever tonight. A local Louisville restaurant called Lilly’s makes their own icecream and I soon as I downed my tenth spoonful, I told myself I had to let you know: lemon-mint. Light and crisp like a sorbet, refreshing and downright clean like a peppermint… I loved every bite.

April 29, 2010 | 11:48 pm

Shutterboo, thanks for the tip! That sounds delicious. And just in time, since I’ve been wanting something minty. I think I might try that this weekend!

10. catalyst « finding your own voice…
    February 14, 2011 | 12:22 am

[…] 90 minutes later, a quart of Honey Vanilla Chamomile ice cream (I’ll post my recipe later but here’s one to whet the appetite) in a thermal carry bag and I’m on my […]

11. Ron Mayes
    January 12, 2012 | 3:35 pm

Sounds wonderful. I have a question though. How is the texture the next day after freezing. Does it go rock hard or remain soft enough to scoop?

12. What to do with all those herbs |
    February 22, 2012 | 5:39 pm

[…] plate! If you’ve got an ice cream maker, experiment with herbal flavors like honey lavender or ginger chamomile. If not, try crushed ice granitas in unexpected flavors like grapefruit-mint and blood […]

13. Bianca (biancajeanty) | Pearltrees
    February 29, 2012 | 11:53 am

[…] Honey Vanilla Ginger Chamomile Tea Ice Cream | The Ivory Hut Last night was a rare night of free time for me. And as I sat there trying to decide if I should make myself a nice cup of honey vanilla chamomile tea to help me digest the copious amounts of Chicken Pelau that my husband Tom made for dinner, or to throw caution to the wind and have a bowl of my work-in-progress green tea ice cream (it’s delicious, but the texture isn’t quite there yet), it suddenly dawned on me: why not go with the gluttonous flow of the evening and have both? As a bonus, I had some leftover honey that had started crystallizing in its huge Costco-sized jar, some ginger that was on its last legs. And since I love finding ways to repurpose leftovers, I got up off the couch (a feat in itself) to test my idea. I didn’t care that it was almost 10 PM. I’m glad I did, because that ice cream base? […]