Come closer now, baby

Because a few people have asked, here is the heart of most of my macro shots. (It really should be retina or optic nerve, right? ‘Cause the heart can’t really see. Least, that’s what I remember from the last anatomy book I read.)

That funky thing it’s sitting on is its snap-on universal adapter, which lets me use it with filter diameters anywhere from 52mm to 67mm. Now, if I happen to find myself with a camera using a filter diameter of, say, 67.324mm, then, well, nuts to me.

I take it everywhere with me. Sometimes, it’s there even when I don’t have my camera. Which doesn’t help me much, except to give me the satisfaction of saying that I take it everywhere with me.

But that’s not really true, really. I don’t think I’ve ever taken it to the bathroom (ewwww). Or the shed. Or to the core of the earth amid all the molten rock and sulfuric gases (ewwww on the smell and death-inducing heat).

Don’t pay attention to me. I haven’t had breakfast yet.

12 Responses to Come closer now, baby
  1. thedailyclick
    April 8, 2008 | 6:03 pm

Breakfast? Which time zone are you in? It’s dinner time here!
    What a neat little gadget, and it does so well for macro shots!. Can I ask what kind of camera you have? I used to use close-up filters for macro shots, but have been the proud owner of a macro lens for about two years now.
    Macro photography is by far my favorite, and it’s so much fun!

2. kanniduba
    April 8, 2008 | 7:53 pm

Ooooooo….I wonder if that little wonder would work on my Nikon D40??? I’ve started using a filter since I can’t shell out for a macro lens yet, but it’s leaving me dissatisfied…especially when I look at all your lovelies!! I feel like I just can’t get close enough.

3. karmardav
    April 8, 2008 | 9:26 pm

My birthday is coming up this month. I will be adding that little baby to my wishlist.

4. ivoryhut
    April 9, 2008 | 7:19 am

Ack! Michaela, I didn’t notice that slip. I started writing this in the morning, then had to come back to it later in the day. What macro lens do you use? By the way, I have a Canon S5. Not a DSLR, but close enough for me and my currently limited budget.

KD, it should work with your Nikon, since I think your filter diameter should be less than 67mm. The thing about this Raynox is that I use it in conjunction with my zoom lens. If you try to use a wide-angle setting with it, you’ll capture the edges of the mount in your shot. But when I have it on my camera, I can get a few inches from the subject and that’s the sweet spot for focusing. I usually don’t max out my zoom when using it with this, because, believe it or not, sometimes the magnification gets too much.

Karma, good choice. For me, it’s the best accessory (well, that and the lens adapter, which is kinda required in order to mount this on a point-and-shoot) I’ve purchased for my camera. Even more so than my tripod.

The second best? Styrofoam bowls and cups, baby. :)

5. thedailyclick
    April 9, 2008 | 7:53 am

That’s a REALLY nice camera you have!!
    My macro lens is a Nikkor 60mm f-2.8 (I have a Nikon D70s). It’s my favorite “every day” lens, too.

6. ivoryhut
    April 9, 2008 | 8:55 am

Michaela, I will say that my camera takes excellent moon shots. :) And it does well with macros, too. But I do want a DSLR still, because I miss being able to handle the lens and focus manually. Especially with macro shots, where tack sharp focus is key.

7. thedailyclick
    April 9, 2008 | 10:28 am

I totally agree! I’ve seen your moon shots and they are gorgeous, you can see so much detail!
    I hope you won’t have to wait too long to get a DSLR, and yes, manual focus is sometimes needed for macro shots, esp,. with shallow dof when it’s difficult to get AF to focus on what you WANT to focus on.
    I like that with your little gadget you can get so much of your image in focus, I can’t do that with my macro lens… or maybe I just haven’t figured out how.

8. ivoryhut
    April 9, 2008 | 12:41 pm

Oh, I still get shallow depth of field with my lens too. It’s just that I can get so close to it that I can pretty much fill the frame with what I’m focusing on.

My current DSLR dilemma is now Canon Rebel XTi or XSi. Anyone out there with any ideas?

9. thedailyclick
    April 9, 2008 | 4:44 pm

Ah! See I can’t do that. Something is always oof unless I don’t get close, but then I wouldn’t call that a macro.
    As for your dilemma, there’s a solution: go with Nikon ;-) Actually I don’t know anything about the XSi, but you can do a side by side comparison on dpreview.com, maybe that will help with your decision?

10. ivoryhut
    April 9, 2008 | 5:49 pm

I actually prefer dcresource.com for reviews, so I’m waiting for one to show up there. The XSi is still very new, so not a lot of in-depth reviews yet.

By the way, the Raynox is the only reason I’m able to get very close to my subject. Without it, I’d have to pull back a lot. Although the S5 does have a sweet super macro feature, which amazingly will focus on something that’s right up against the lens. Pretty cool. But I still prefer the greater magnification with the Raynox.

11. karmardav
    April 9, 2008 | 6:24 pm

My pic of the day, which I’ll be posting momentarily, I took on super macro with my lens virtually butted against my subject. It took a couple tries to get the focus I wanted, but I was pleased with the result. Looking forward to trying things out when I get my hands on the accessories I want.

12. ivoryhut
    April 9, 2008 | 8:34 pm

Ooh, can’t wait to see it! Checking your Flickr photo stream now …